Bryan Higgs's Reviews > Trapeze

M 50x66
Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: adventure
Read in July, 2012

I have discovered quite a number of interesting books that I would not have known about, nor considered reading, as a result of listening to the Diane Rehm Show on National Public Radio. This is one of those books. Diane Rehm interviewed the author about this book, and it sounded interesting, so I suggested that my wife and I read it.

I was right. It was a very interesting and well-written book, and at the same time an absorbing page-turner. My wife liked it a lot, too.

I'll let you discover the basis of the book from the main book description. Suffice it to say that Simon Mawer writes very well, conveying the stresses and dangers of operating under cover in WW2 occupied France. On occasion, he was a little too generous with literate references and allusions, but that was partially compensated for by the following gem of a sentence on page 350:

"The van is waiting, a brown and lumpish Citroen TUB sitting behind the neoclassical building of the College like a turd at the backside of an elegant old lady."

I have to believe the author had waited some time to bring in that image into one of his books!

Highly recommended!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapeze.