Shannon's Reviews > Free Food for Millionaires

Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee

Jul 03, 12

Read in August, 2007

This was my summer reading years ago. I had read a favorable review of it in a magazine, and was intrigued by the story (and not just because the central character's name is Casey). This was a very interesting glimpse into the struggles of meshing Korean culture into contemporary American life.

It is a story of Casey's post-Princeton life, in NYC, her jobs, her loves, her losses, her family. The best thing I can say about it is there was action from the first chapter, and the end of every chapter made me hungry to read more, to see what else would happen to the cast of characters (interestingly, one of the most boring characters, has some of the most action later in the book). The down side has to be the ending. I usually really get into a story, show or movie if I can relate to the main character (which is why I never liked Sex in the City-none of them were anything like me), I did enjoy this story, even though I felt that Casey was again, nothing like me. Really no direction, no plan for her life. And I was disappointed in how it ended. But you be the judge. It was still a page-turner.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Food for Millionaires.