Katie's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Jul 03, 12

Read in July, 2012

I admit, I may have given this book five stars had I not read other reviews. I get their point(s), but I didn't read this for a class--English, History, Critical Thinking, or otherwise--I read this for pleasure. I don't think this is a spoiler, but I found that the actual postmistress was Frankie. Later, Iris comments that she is a postmaster and only in England is the term postmistress used. Sarah Blake wrote a beautiful story, and the scattered plot (viewed as a negative to many reviewers) actually served its purpose with me. No one knew what to think, what would happen next. I really liked the question of randomness vs. order, as well as the consequences of withholding information that might shatter hope. Hmm, I may go ahead and give this book five stars, after all. I forced myself to slow down and find a quiet place, so that I could take my time savoring her writing. I am finished with the book, but I wasn't ready to be...seems that is another negative for others, but a great novel doesn't end with a tidy, little bow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.