Alison Law's Reviews > StrengthsFinder 2.0

StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath

Jul 03, 12

it was ok
Read on July 03, 2012

I agree with the premise of this book 100%. Rath hypothesizes that instead of spending most of our time trying to improve our areas of weakness (as most of us in the U.S. public school systems learn to do), we should instead focus our energies on cultivating our areas of strength. The formula that the author uses is Talent x Investment = Strength. This is the gist of the first 28 pages.

Here comes the rub. At Page 29 you read "Parting Thoughts." This is basically where the book ends and you're pointed to a website where you must register to take a test to help you identify your strengths.

Each book contains a unique access code that can only be used by one person. Do not buy this book if you want to share it and compare what you've learned with a friend. I also thought about donating the book to my public library system since it's a hardcover copy, but I know it would be completely useless to anyone checking it out. Essentially, you're paying $24.95 to take a test, not for a book. The remaining pages of the book are merely descriptions of the 34 themes, only five of which apply to you, based on the results of the online test.

In my case, the test results seem accurate, but not revelatory. I'm not sure the action ideas are truly helpful in telling me what to do with the information about my identified strengths.

It seems like the two goals of StrengthsFinder 2.0 are to (1) collect data and (2) sell research. The author works for Gallup, so I guess I should have seen that coming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read StrengthsFinder 2.0.

Amy Nielsen my take exactly. so much for lending my copy to others and if you can't lend a book out, then what the heck good is it?

message 2: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Not exactly my take but I do agree that their approach is expensive and if they would lower their prices and expand access they would make more money and have more credibility. Nevertheless, I'm thinking they won't change anytime soon.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Koons Now, it's all online and its &15. Totally worth it!