Chip's Reviews > Perdido Street Station

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Jul 03, 2012

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

Yeah, I don't think I actually liked this book very much. Maybe I need to clarify.

Dickensian? Yes, in all the good and bad. Some interesting character inventions here, some names-that-say-what-that-person-does. But a truly gripping, amazing, life-changing work of genre fiction? I don't see it.

As some reviewers have noted, the story changes about half way through and then you're basically in a Steampunk videogame. Mieville excels at describing the city places and giving a sense of decay and all around degradation. But at the end I was straining to care about any of these people (sorry, and Garuda, and Vodyanoi and some thing that has to have another creature inside of it to keep it wet?). Maybe it's me, but the thing I related to the most was the construct. And the bird bones sticking out of the ground. And imagining a bunch of Cacti running around with spears; that was fun. Again, if you play a lot of videogames you'll probably love this.

You could strip about 200 pages from this, and then I might recommend it. But only might.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perdido Street Station.