Lexie's Reviews > The Way of Shadows

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

Sep 27, 09

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, books-owned-read
Recommended for: fans of fantasy with politics, darker fantasy lovers
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

Assassins, oh how I love assassins. It seems a rare thing for me to find a book series (or in this case trilogy) with an assassin as the main character.

The world of The Way of Shadows is as brutal as it is fascinating. Weeks seems to have meshed together some of the best and worst aspects of historical civilizations. You have the overly lavish and indulgent lifestyle of the French (before the Revolution) aristocracy sitting hand in hand with the bloodlust of the Arenas from the Roman Empire.

The book isn't a 'pretty' book. There are actions and motivations throughout that would make most people cringe. Characters with such unquestionable evil intentions and personality that you want to run them through. Then there are characters like Durzo (who only takes jobs he feels are necessary) and Momma K (an aging prostitute with rules over the brothels of the city) who have traditionally 'bad' professions, but aren't bad people with bad intentions.

Azoth falls into that category. He is a good person, despite his angst, and became a wetboy to not only save himself but to help his friends. Which to digress--there is a definite difference between an 'assassin' and a 'wetboy' such as Durzo or Azoth. Not just in their methods, but in how they are viewed. Wetboys are the accepted, if not condoned, part of the book's society. They train and perfect their skills. They leave deaders. Assassins however kill with little finesse or thought and leave bodies. In the latter half of the book a better illustration of these differences presents itself.

Overall I love this book and am eagerly looking forward to the next two. Not my normal run, I tend towards female leads not male, but I'm very glad I picked it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Shadows.

Quotes Lexie Liked

Brent Weeks
“Assassination is an art, milord. And I am the city's most accomplished artist.”
Brent Weeks, The Way of Shadows

Brent Weeks
“The perfect killer has no friends. Only targets.”
Brent Weeks, The Way of Shadows
tags: truth

11/03 page 110
17.05% "I wanna be an assassin..."
02/26 marked as: books-owned