Donna's Reviews > Summerland

Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand

Jul 06, 12

Read from July 03 to 06, 2012

This book details the aftermath of a car crash in which one of four teens riding in the car is killed. The book spends its time having the three survivors and their parents coping with the next phase in their lives and trying to determine why Penny, the driver of the car, deliberately crashed the car. The story is told from everyone's various viewpoints, but the reader never really gets to know these characters because they spend the whole book feeling guilty for whatever part they believe they played in the crash. Or they spend their time living in denial. There is no depth to these characters or the story. They are all swimming in stagnant water until the big reveal in the end, which was a letdown. Which is too bad, because the story had potential. I wanted to learn more about Jake, Penny's boyfriend, and Hobby, her twin brother. I mostly skimmed over Demeter's sections as I grew tired of her downward spiral. Which might not have been the case had the author given her more dimension.

This might have been a good YA novel if the author had taken the time to give the characters something to do besides hope that they were not the cause of the accident. I did not completely hate this book, but I would not recommend it to anyone I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summerland.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jo Anne B You echoed my thoughts about this book perfectly! You said it better than I could.

message 2: by JJ (new) - rated it 1 star

JJ Landis Agreed! I am almost finished. Keep waiting for the big reveal. There is too much going on in this book but not enough depth to the characters.

Diana Agree, totally. Such a let down.