Chris's Reviews > Blood Of The Wicked

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, mystery
Recommended to Chris by: Vicki Seldon
Read from July 01 to 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I don't really know much about Brazil. I know a little about the land wars, in particular about the violence with the land wars. I think I heard something a few years ago about women only buses or subway cars. And Carnival. And the falevas as well as the whole thing about the building for the Olympics and World Cup. And the football team, beautiful football team.

That's it. Sad I know.

This book isn't a bad book. In fact, there is much to recommend it, in particular about the clash between very rich and very poor. So why three stars?

For the same reason, in part, I gave The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo three stars. The whole violence against women thing. Look I know that women are more likely to be the victims of violent crime. I know. But the women in this book who get killed must take stupid pills or something. I'm suppose to believe that they are really good reporters who then act like stupid idiots. Once, maybe, but the second woman after she knows the first woman was killed? Really? It isn't just the major supporting women either. Its women who have cameos. It's annoying. It's just women as victims and it annoys me.

To be fair, the heroes aren't the princes on white chargers, so it makes it easier to swallow, but still.

However, I kept reading. The plot and soical commentry are good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Of The Wicked.

10/28/2016 marked as: read

Vicki Seldon You have a good point, although there were male victims and/or intended victims as well. All of his books are very violent, but the victims are not always female, nor are they always those that one might consider most vulnerable.

Chris So maybe I'll give another one a try. It wasn't so much the violence, it was I really couldn't buy that Victerniza (sp, the second reporter, the pretty one) would be that stupid.

But I did like the characters. And I did like it a little better than Larsson.

Vicki Seldon I would recommend them then. They are all gripping reads and approach social ills and corruption from slightly different parts of Brazilian society, filtered through the experiences of these detectives.