Bob Koelle's Reviews > A Hologram for the King

A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers

Jul 10, 12

Read from July 03 to 10, 2012

I had to get this of course, because I live in the Bay Area, and I think of Dave Eggers as our local celebrity fiction author (his non-fiction counterpart is Michael Lewis of Berkeley). I've started the book, and I'm maybe 30 pages in, and it's getting quite difficult, as it cuts too close to home. The lead character is a man who has made bad decisions in his personal and professional life for about 10 years, since about his early 40s, and is in Saudi Arabia, making a last-ditch business effort to pay off debts and keep his daughter in college. I may have to put this down for a while until I'm feeling less unsure of my own future.

Update: I've finished the book, since it was a quick read, and DE shows us some remarkable parts of the Kingdom that few Americans gave ever seen. That made the book easier to read for me, since it wasn't about a middle aged man coming apart so much. That I don't need. The ending isn't much of a surprise, but it fits perfectly for the character as well as the state of global business, and I thought it was a bit optimistic as well, because our hero has found much that he likes in the Kingdom, and may have a future there he never considered before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hologram for the King.