Danny's Reviews > The Assassin's Curse

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Jul 09, 12

Read from July 03 to 06, 2012

4.5 stars!

Bad Ass Assassin? Pirates? Magic? Awesome Cover? Oh count me in!!

The book started with such an hilarious and awesome scene I wish I could share this with you just to get you hooked! Ananna is about to be married – against her will and the way she runs away was so incredibly hilarious and out of the blue – I was instantly hooked to this story!

Ananna – strong female lead, who follows her own heart!
Ananna was such a great character! Fierce, determined, strong and with a hind of kick assery in her! Being the Daughter of a Pirate she knows how to deal with boys, men and people alike. But, what I loved most about her was her strength and that she was acting on her own free will, not willing to submit to the orders of her parents or a husband she doesn’t want.
When forced to stick with mysterious Naji she grows even more and develops a kick ass attitude that was awesome to see! Suddenly, she was the one who rescues and she’s far away from being the classic Damsel in Distress, on the contrary she saved Naji’s life constantly!

Naji – swoon & drool worthy, mysterious and bad-ass
Seriously you all have to meet Naji!!! Because on top of being awesome he has blue glowing tattoo’s and eyes! Glowing Tattoos!!! When I read this I was so mesmerized and excited and utterly hooked! Naji is bad-ass full of grace and magic and a sword yielding assassin. I want to have my own Naji! But, he’s not the über-hero you might expect! He has an ugly scar in his gorgeous face and is very self-conscious about his appearance. That… was so damn adorable and heartbreaking I have no words. Even more, he needed to be rescued from Ananna and I loved this incredible contradiction and I just loved that the author didn’t create one super hero but a genuine hero with strengths and flaws! And, because of his flaws, he couldn’t be more perfect in my opinion.

Did I mention the glowing, swirling tattoos?

Adventure through deserts and mysterious islands!
Naji and Annana need to find a way to break the curse that glues them together and they need to face dangers, magic and mysterious islands. I love this kind of adventure stories, and this one was played nicely! Not only mystery but also a lot of magic and even some steampunk elements are involved! The only complain I have was the pace in the third part of the story. While the beginning was rather nicely paced, there was a time that was just close enough to be boring. There wasn’t too much going on and I think it would have been better to cut out a few pages. Nevertheless I ended up loving this book so much that my overall love did not suffer!

Bottom Line
The Assassin’s curse is a full-blown magic adventure with a thrilling kick-ass hero with magically glowing tattoos who will make a girls heart melt! Paired with a fierce heroine, those characters are beautifully and perfectly crafted and the ending will leave you wanting more! Cassandra Rose Clark created a magic world and crafted characters with in incredibly love for detail! Especially Naji will make girls hearts melt!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Curse.

07/03/2012 page 110
26.0% "The minute we met Naji I was hooked!"