Misfit's Reviews > My Cousin Rachel

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

Oct 28, 2008

Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

Did she or didn’t she? That is the question that will keep readers on the edge of their seat until the final twists on the very last pages. Phillip Ashley was orphaned at a young age and raised in 19C Cornwall by his older cousin Ambrose. Health issues force Ambrose to spend time in warmer climates and he meets and marries a distant cousin Rachel, the widowed Countess Sangaletti. A cryptic note arrives from Ambrose hinting at being poisoned and Phillip heads to Florence to find Ambrose dead of a brain tumor (so the doctors say.....) and Rachel disappeared, with Rainaldi her close friend and “financial advisor” handling her affairs.

Phillip heads home and as rightful heir takes over running the family estate, but constantly broods on his hatred of Rachel and builds an image of her that is completely different when he comes face to face with her. Instead of the murdering she-devil he's built up in his mind, Phillip doesn't quite know what to make of this tiny, elegant and very enigmatic cousin of his. Rachel weaves herself into the lives of Phillip making herself indispensable to the household until Phillip finally finds himself in love with her and forgets his prior suspicions. Phillip realizes his majority at his 25th birthday and he presents Rachel with what Ambrose would have willed to her if he had lived long enough to sign a new will. At that point everything changes between Rachel and Phillip and ………

Well I’m not going to tell you, read it for yourself. This was a fabulous read that had me gripped from the very first page and kept me guessing until the very end (actually she still keeps you guessing but you have to read it for yourself to find out why). There’s a good reason Du Maurier is considered the master of romantic suspense. Highly highly recommended. 5/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Cousin Rachel.

04/13 marked as: read

Laura I won´t be able to read this one; Jamaica Inn is arriving in a couple of days.

Misfit Just in time for Halloween? I just finished one of Rosalind Laker's oldest books Smuggler's Bride. Short, but lots of creepy spooky hair raising moments. I'm lucky to have a library that has all those odd-ball out of print books readily available.

Laura It is very hard for me to get those out-of-print books. I found some Maurier´s books at the French site of Amazon, could be another possibility. By the way the Brazilian kids are starting to celebrate halloween here, can you believe? I started to read DB and it is hard to get away from this book!!!

Misfit Have you tried Abe Books? They have sellers all over the world (including Brazil), I've had very good service, although for the most part I'm quite lucky with the local library system.

Hope the kids let up and get you back to the book. Once you hit the halfway mark there's no getting your nose out of it. Loved loved the dialogue.

Laura Yes, I tried but the costs for expedition are higher than the price of the book itself, that is why is try to find some e-book version. By the way for the books by Elizabeth Chadwick I couldn´t find anyone anywhere, I am quite mad.
Me too, I hope that the kids from the neighbourhood let me read DB in peace. I haven´t reach the middle of it and it is very hard to put it down, even if I have worked in the evening.

message 6: by Misfit (last edited Oct 29, 2008 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit I think I would go nuts if I couldn't get my hands on the books I want to read when I want to read them. I count my blessings :)

Maybe try posting on HF online and see if anyone has suggestions on how to get books you're looking for in a cheaper fashion?

Laura Good idea Misfit, I will post a note on HF online because I am getting mad by not being able to find the books I really want to read. Just to give you an idea: it took me a couple of months is order to get Legacy by Susan Kay!!

message 8: by Caz (new)

Caz I read this more than 20 years ago, not long after a BBC adaptation had aired. I remember it being a really good book... another one for a long-overdue re-read.

Misfit I'd love to see the film version with Richard Burton. A young Richard Burton. I think bits of it can be found on You Tube.

Ann-Marie I loved the film version with Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton. That was what made me want to read the book, and now I love both. Hope you had a chance to watch it. You wrote a great review here! :)

Misfit Ann-Marie wrote: "I loved the film version with Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton. That was what made me want to read the book, and now I love both. Hope you had a chance to watch it. You wrote a great review h..."

Thanks for stopping by.

message 12: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety I know what my next gothic will be.....

Misfit I need to read this aqain. The ending is so ambivilent.

message 14: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety That can add to the gothic appeal. What would you suggest Misfit, should I read this or The King's General, I'm torn since they both look so good.... Maybe I'll just get both. Which did you like better?

message 15: by Tweety (new) - added it

Misfit Tweety wrote: "That can add to the gothic appeal. What would you suggest Misfit, should I read this or The King's General, I'm torn since they both look so good.... Maybe I'll just get both. Which did you like be..."

I loved loved loved The King's General, but that's not a gothic, but a historical novel.

message 17: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Historical is good. I think I may have to just get both and read whichever strikes my fancy first. I like the idea that The King's General is about a little known historical event.

Misfit Tweety wrote: "Historical is good. I think I may have to just get both and read whichever strikes my fancy first. I like the idea that The King's General is about a little known historical event."

I love that era, the Civil Wars and Restoration. Fascinating stuff.

message 19: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety I haven't really read anything about it, I'm curious to find out the story behind the name. Is it in the 1600s or 1700s? I don't remember. :/

Misfit 1600s I think.

message 21: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Thanks! I've read next to nothing in the 1600s. It'll be an adventure for sure. :)

message 22: by Tweety (new) - added it

Misfit There are some really good books in that period.

message 24: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety (sorry about the double comment)

Do you have any you would suggest to a newbie?

Misfit I do. Just let me get to a real keyboard.

message 26: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Okay, when you get the chance I'd love to see them. ;)

Misfit Tweety wrote: "Okay, when you get the chance I'd love to see them. ;)"

There is the classic Forever Amber. I'm also fond of Pamela Belle two series (one a trilogy, the other a quartet), strong historical setting with romantic elements, and I like that they're mostly set in the countryside instead of events at court. Stella Riley has some great ones, and nice they're digitalized since they were once very hard to find.

That should get you started, plus this list should be very helpful: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 28: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Thank you! I've Heard of Forever Amber, but didn't know what it was about and I've got Wintercombe on my to-read shelf. I hadn't realized but I've got quite a few Stella Riley books marked to-read. I'm not having a very sucsessful time finding copies though. But I did find the Parfit Knight for around 4.00, who knows what shape it's in but considering how hard her books are to find it doesn't matter.

message 29: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Just checked out the list, I've read two of the books on it, but they are YA. And most of the others I haven't heard of, so I have lots to take a look at! Thank you so much Misfit! :D

Misfit Tweety wrote: "Thank you! I've Heard of Forever Amber, but didn't know what it was about and I've got Wintercombe on my to-read shelf. I hadn't realized but I've got quite a few Stella Riley books marked to-rea..."

Happy reading. Riley is best found digital, US libraries won't have dead tree copies. They are too rare.

Forever Amber? Best plague scene ever.

message 31: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Oh, is she on kindle? That's great because I like to keep all my books by one author in one place and I don't fancy paying 40.00 and up. I'll defiantly look for her digitally then.

The plague is fascinating. :)

Misfit Riley is on kindle and even released a new one recently.

message 33: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Ooh! That's exciting! I'm going to be busy downloading samples. (To device which to start with)

message 34: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety Decide, I mean. Pity I can't edit on the app.

Misfit I don't like the GR app one bit.

message 36: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety It's okay for some stuff. But I nearly always end up using the main page. :/ If we could only edit...

Misfit Tweety wrote: "It's okay for some stuff. But I nearly always end up using the main page. :/ If we could only edit..."

I only use the app on my phone. With my Fire, I use the main page in the browser.

message 38: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety With my fire I use the browser too. It just works better. Only I do end up having to blow the pages up.

Misfit I do love touch screens just for that.

message 40: by Tweety (new) - added it

Tweety They're grand aren't they.

Misfit :)