Amy's Reviews > The Constant Princess

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory

Jul 03, 12

Read in June, 2012

I liked this book, written about Katherine of Aragon, the first wife of King Henry VIII. The story focused on Catarina, the infanta, princess of Spain, as she was raised on the battlefields of her parents (monarchs of Spain) up through her marriage to King Henry VII. Prior to reading this book, my understanding of Katherine of Aragon was that she was cast aside so that King Henry could pursue Anne Boleyn (bringing about England's break with the Pope and Catholic church). This story presents the princess of Spain in a much more humane manner, giving her more depth as a person rather than an unfortunate figure in Henry's quest to marry. Good read; felt Ms. Gregory could have presented interactions between royal figures (Arthur, her first husband and first son of King Henry VII, King Henry VII himself, etc.) in a more formal manner. While Ms. Gregory's softening of the formality of and between royals makes for an up to date view of the people, I felt it detracted for the relationships between the main characters in that point in history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Constant Princess.