Felicia's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: urban-paranormal, vaginal-urban-fantasy
Read from July 03 to 07, 2012

I've been frothing at the mouth like CRAZY for this book, so when it popped up in my Kindle at night I literally squealed. And, as usual, I loved my jaunt into this really well-thought out paranormal world.

In this book Alex has decided to open a detective agency, and gets a really interesting case that starts her down some really spooky territory. I think the plot was really interesting, I just feel overall the book didn't get started until like 1/4 of the way in. I think Alex having ALL these different awesome skills (Grave Magic, Plane walking AND Faerie stuff) required a lot of exposition up front, there was a lot of lore explaining I just skimmed to get to the action, but when she used her powers with the bad guy, it was AWESOME.

I LOVE LOVED the delving into Death's backstory, even though it was really concentrated in the back half, and there were so many dramatic twists and turns, HE IS SO AWESOME!!! With the main plot and the Death plot pretty well interwoven, I think it was the Falin parts/Faerie parts that felt like they weren't as integrated into the book as smoothly. Honestly it felt like we're being set up for a big Faerie push in book 4, which I'm REALLY looking forward to, but maybe woulda been more invested if the book can just concentrated on one or the other? I dunno.

I think this book has the most interesting love triangle I've seen, where I truly can't REALLY tell which guy I want to win Alex's love (ok, it's Death, but just SLIGHTLY). There wasn't a lot of PROGRESS in one direction or another with Alex's affections, but I am 100% positive that we're gonna be in for some wrenching choices in the next installment. IM IN!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jamie 2 days until the UK release :)

Beth Please post when you finish this. I just finished and I'm curious if your thoughts about the ending are the same as mine :)

Meredith Barrons Can't wait to read your review on this one! I just started it!!!

message 4: by Stephen (last edited Jul 07, 2012 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen I am so not the target demographic for this type of book, but I love this series. I love the universe that Kalayna has created. I love her story telling. The love triangle thing is meh, can take or leave, but I, too, was quite happy when it appeared on my e-reader. Keep writing em, Kalayna, I'm in.

Kathryn Lancashire I finished this last night and I'm almost mad at this series because I usually hate love triangles but god damn, I DON'T KNOW WHO TO ROUTE FOR! I had resigned myself to the Falin relationship and then WOW with the Death relationship in this book. It's pretty glorious. Love this series, seriously. Oh book four, don't take too long.

Leah I just finished this book tonight. I have to say - HOLY MOLY!!! The ending was definitely NOT what I expected and I'm really hoping she doesn't take too long to finish book 4.... I mean, how can she do that to her readers?!
I also really enjoyed Death's story line. (and am hoping he prevails) The book did seem a bit sectioned off. I'm not sure if I enjoy getting so caught up in one plot point and then being taken a totally different direction at the turn of a page. Only because as soon as I get interested in what's going on she changes things up!! I did enjoy the steamy love scene that the second book lacked.... All in all, It was a grood book.

Miya I downloaded a sample of the first book because of this review, and I have to say, it seems really good so far! I've been itching for a good modern paranormal/fantasy since I ran out of Tanya Huff's Keeper and Tony series. I will definitely be trying out the Alex Craft series now!

Kay_Vee Thanks so much for turning me on to this series (probably wouldn't have picked up the 1st book if not for your book club's review). I was glad Death got some equal time this outing- NOW we have a love triangle! The action had great tension- found myself saying "No" out loud about a second before reading the character say it at a pivotal moment. Agree with you the Faerie stuff seemed off the pace. Last book's review you said Alex needs to Google to learn about Faerie stuff- this time she had the perfect chance to interact and learn about all the other courts and totally took a pass- opportunity missed.
Love that the toothbrush joke managed to make an appearance again.

Particle_Person Since you guys read the first one I'd be interested to see how you all felt about this follow-up at a future VF podcast. Although I'm sure Bonnie will fault it for having only the one tiny sex scene. ;-)

message 10: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe How many more books will there be? I can't find anything about future books but the way it ended...there must be!

Richard It's like you've read a different series to me. Sure we get lots of time with Death now that we seem to be around to his turn in the sun but before this he's been a complete nonentity. We've had two books of the weakest love triangle I can remember reading recently. Death has shown up once in a blue moon so Alex could tell us JUST HOW MUCH Death was her best friend and she loved him despite the reader getting absolutely no time with him to see any of this.