Ally's Reviews > The Opposite of Hallelujah

The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: kindle, netgalley, young-adult, printz-watch-2013, fiction, grief, contemps
Read on July 03, 2012

Caro is basically an only child. Her much older sister Hannah left home when Caro was eight, and she hasn't seen her in some years. But suddenly, Hannah is home, and Caro's orderly, predictable life is turned upside down and even she is surprised by her response to it.

Oh, Anna Jarzab. You slay me. I really liked All Unquiet Things (so do my patrons!), so when I saw this title on NetGalley, I had to snatch it up. I made myself wait until closer to the pub date to read it and I finished it in a day. All Unquiet Things was a fantastic mystery full of complex characters, but THIS. Y'ALL THIS BOOK. This book seemed infinitely more personal. It's about family and truth and trauma and God and relationships and science and art. It's about growing and learning how to be a better sister and daughter and friend. Caro's development throughout the book is profound, but earned. Each step she takes towards maturity and understanding and compassion is a fight. Watching this relationship develop was beautiful. This will definitely be on my YA shelves in the fall.

By the way, the blurb for this book is completely misleading. This one isn't a thriller or as mystery-y as All Unquiet Things was. It's a character study with layers and puzzle pieces and you will love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opposite of Hallelujah.