PJ's Reviews > Ill Will

Ill Will by J.M. Redmann

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: lesbian-themed-fiction

Confession here ... I'm a huge fan of the Micky Knight books by JM Redmann ("Deaths Of Jocasta" is an absolute must read). In my opinion, Micky is one of the best defined and written characters, in lesbian fiction or otherwise. She's complex and flawed and feels real. I look forward to each and every installment in the Micky Knight series and I was not at all disappointed in this latest edition.

"Ill Will" is a wonderful book, incredibly well written and strongly poignant. I refuse to give out any plot points but fans of JM Redmann know that the real world touches Micky in all kinds of ways, good and bad, and the plot and subplots in "Ill Will" do not shy away from real life issues, pains and fears.

A big part of the Micky Knight books is a fabulous family of secondary characters, and I was thrilled to see them again on the pages of "Ill Will". I do feel it's safe to say that one of my favorite secondary characters is back - Joanne Ranson. It was great to see her and Micky interacting as only they can (as Micky says "Hey, you want sympathy, you talk to Cordelia. You want a b*tch slap into reality, you talk to me."). JM Redmann is great with dialog, and can say more with one sentence than a lot of authors can say with a paragraph.

There's a lot of history with Micky and her family, with their relationships and their environments - and as in the real world, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and it's impact on New Orleans is alive and greatly felt on the pages of "Ill Will" and that adds to the gravity and believability of the book.

"Ill Will" is much more than a well-written mystery: it's about characters and place, it's about feelings and frustrations, it's about love and pain and it's about people ... people who you'll wish you knew, people who you wish you had as friends.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ill Will.