Raina's Reviews > Princeless, Book One: Save Yourself

Princeless, Book One by Jeremy Whitley

Jan 22, 14

bookshelves: feminist, funny, gltbq, graphicnovel, ya
Read in January, 2013

It's super awesome that a comic exists which is specifically trying to combat stereotypes about race and gender. I feel like I should own a copy just because it's so historical in the way that it goes about these issues (which is actually ultimately pretty sad).

It's even more awesome that it's printed in full color, illustrated engagingly and with skill, and is seriously fun to read!

Adrienne is sick of being stuck in her tower, and she doesn't understand why she's there in the first place. So she decides to rescue herself. There's an extended scene in this first volume where she's picking out armor that fits which plays with the ridiculousness of typical battle gear for women in comic books.

Honestly I feel like the snuggly anthropomorphized dragon is pushing it a little bit. And this pushed this content line a little further than I was expecting it to. But it was a pleasure to read, and at the end of the day, I've got one word for it:

Refreshing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princeless, Book One.

01/22 marked as: read