Lissie's Reviews > Their Eyes Were Watching God

Oct 23, 2008

bookshelves: book-club, novels, literature-for-adults
Recommended to Lissie by: Alison - Village Book Club
Read in April, 2007

What I blogged: Their Eyes Were watching God by Zora Neale Hurston is, I think, a "coming-of-age" story. Though it covers a period of time over thirty years when it comes to the end of the story we've travled with Janie through three marriages and discovered in the place of a trembling, eager and scared young girl a woman of patience, understanding and serenity.

I think it's a powerful story of how we have to decide to live our own lives and not the life others have for us to live. That's what Janie finally determines.

I have been of the opinion that the Civial War was fought for a good and just cause, which opinion I still maintain, but after reading this story I wondered if it were a kind thing. It seems to me that this story demonstrates that a people aren't free until they fight the battle for themselves, individually and collectively. (Which happened 100 years after the Civil War during the Civil Rights Movement.) Janie represents the individual fight and her sceond husband, Joe Starks, represents the collective. If they could have worked together this story would have been very different, seen as an archetype of the race history would've been very different too.

All of this lead me to wondering about present-day Iraq. I disagreed with going to war in the first place. I think you ought to have allies and I think you ought not to be ithe instigator of war. FurthermoreI agree with Geroge Washington's supposition that this country would remain great in drect proportion to how much it stayed out of foreign disputes. As far as this book is concerned though I wonder if we have been kind to Iraq, or if we have only provided a false hope and they will still struggle much as the black population of the United States did until they fight for their freedom.

What do you think?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Eyes Were Watching God.