mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type

Do What You Are  by Paul D. Tieger

Looked through this in detail last night. It went a bit beyond what I remember from "Type Talk".

It covers:

* the four dimensions of personality typing (chpt 2)
- Introversion/Extraversion
- iNtuitive/Sensor
- Thinking/Feeling
- Judging/Percieving

* the 16 personality types (chpt 3)

* the 4 temperaments (chpt 4)
- Experiencers - SP
- Traditionalists - SJ
- Conceptualizers - NT
- Idealists - NF

... all of which I was familiar with, plus ...

* the hierarchy of functions (chpt 5)
- your dominant, auxiliary, third (opposite of auxiliary), and fourth (opposite of dominant) functions (pg 67)
- basically places iNtuitive, Sensor, Thinking, and Feeling in a specific order based on your type
- the first two are the dimensions you claimed in chpt 2, the second two are the mirror opposites

* your typogram (chpt 6)
- shows how introversion/extroversion affects the four temperaments
- if you're introverted, you hide your dominant function, and show your auxiliary function
- if you're extroverted, you show your dominant function, and you hide your auxiliary function

* how your type changes with age (chpt 7)
- at 6-12, we work on our dominant function
- at 12 - 25, we work on our auxiliary function
- at 25 - 50, we work on our third function
- and sometimes, after 50, we work on our fourth function

... which was new to me.

After that, the rest of the book is detailed profiles of the 16 types. Less interesting stuff, at least in my current mood.

But repeating the above with personal examples.

I first tested as:

INTJ - Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging

so by temperament, I'm an NT, a Conceptualizer

my hierarchy of functions is: iNtuitive, Thinking, Feeling, Sensing

so, I Introvert my iNtuitive side and show my Thinking side

But then you come to the age thing, as someone in the 25-50 bracket, I should be working on my third function at the moment - Feeling.

Strangely enough, when I've tested myself more recently, I come up with a different type.

INFJ - Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging

which makes me, by temperament, an NF, an Idealist

and my hierarchy of functions would be: iNtuitive, Feeling, Thinking, Sensing

and, I Introvert my iNtuitive side and show my Feeling side

Freaky, huh?

I wonder if I really "changed" or if I'm pushing my third function so strongly, it looks like I've changed.

Whenever I've tested for Myers-Briggs, my Introversion and iNtuitive dimensions have always been fairly strong. I really think I've changed on the Thinking/Feeling dimension. And on the Judging/Perceiving dimension, I'm closer to the borderline - I have aspects of both. Basically, I'm somewhere in that upper right hand corner. *g*

ISTJ ISFJ INFJ INTJ

SP SP NF NT
SP SP NF NT
SJ SJ NF NT
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do What You Are .