Nikoline's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Jul 03, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, 1900s, romance, animals, own, favorite-books, british, male-author, novel
Recommended to Nikoline by: no one
Recommended for: fans of fary tales
Read from July 03 to 04, 2012

Stardust by Neil Gaiman is a dark fairy tale for adults. It has parallel worlds, falling stars and kingdoms just across the human world. It has detailed love scenes, bloody fights and duels and is over all a very enjoyable and modern fairy tale. To begin with the story seemed to confuse me a little because it stars off with Dunstan Thorn, whom I thought was the main character but is actually the father of the main character. Anyway, when Tristan Torn is born the actual story begins with a typical love story where the poor shop-boy has fallen in love with the upper class snob who is very materiel and therefore prefers the rich kid. In order to win her icy heart he decides on finding a fallen star to present her with, and that is when the fairy tale really begins.

Neil Gaiman's writing style is absolutely delightful, and even though many has criticize him for being too detailed and graphic when it comes to the sex and the fights, I believe that only shows what a great author he really is seeing that he is able to make the audience bend and disgust. If he did not know his way with words the audience would not have felt this way. Furthermore I think that is also one of the reasons this novel is an adult fairy tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

Quotes Nikoline Liked

Neil Gaiman
“He wondered how it could have taken him so long to realize he cared for her, and he told her so, and she called him an idiot, and he declared that it was the finest thing that ever a man had been called.”
Neil Gaiman, Stardust

07/03/2012
10.0% "blue cat!"
07/07/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/07/2013 page 45
21.0% "I felt a sudden need to (re)read a fairy tale..."
07/07/2013 marked as: read