Linda's Reviews > Enough: Finding More by Living with Less

Enough by Will Davis Jr.

Jul 03, 12

The grip that materialism has on America, including the church, is something that has been weighing on me for sometime. I don't claim to have arrived, by any means; I like my "stuff" as much as the next person. But knowing the joy that my family has experienced the times we have given beyond the minimum, I knew I wanted to read this book. I also am personally familiar with Will Davis and his church and was curious about his perspective on this subject. In short, this is a must-read book. More than that, it's a must-act book! This is not a book to read, check off your list, and place on a shelf never to be thought of again. Nor is it a book to pour on guilt about money -- unless you need it! (Actually, any conviction will come from the Holy Spirit, not solely from the book.) Rather, Davis presents a Biblically-based way of looking at our--or rather, God's!--possessions in a different light than most of us probably do and encourages us to look at them through an eternal lens. One of my favorite--or I should say, most convicting!--parts is the chapter on Barns. Like the man in Luke 12, who decided he needed to build more barns for his crops, most of us who experience financial gain do the same thing. We buy a bigger house, add on to our existing home, buy a boat or a better car, buy more "stuff". The same goes for churches. Davis says,
In both cases--the individual and the church--the emphasis becomes having more, being larger, expanding assets, and increasing wealth. There's only one little problem with this strategy: nowhere in the Bible is a Christian or a church commanded to pursue more material gain. Not once. We've chosen a personal way of life and a church growth strategy that, simply stated, goes against everything the Bible teaches about stewardship, personal gain, and how we disciple people. (Chapter 7, p. 103)
The solution that Davis suggests? Give it away. "Declare your current barn to be large enough, then determine to give away whatever you receive that won't fit in the barn." (p. 104)

I encourage you to prayerfully read this book and consider the message within. Reflection points at the end of each chapter make this an ideal book to use in a small group.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Revell as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enough.