Latie's Reviews > Girl Parts

Aug 09, 13

it was ok
bookshelves: general-audiance, science-fiction
Read in July, 2012, read count: 1

I have always found the idea of humanoid machines fascinating, and am familiar with various works such as: A.I Artificial Intelligence (movie, 2001), Metropolis (movie, 2001), Bicentennial Man (movie, 1999) The Stepford Wives (movie, 2004) Ghost in the Shell (movie adaptation, 1995), Robocop (movie, 1987), and Chobits (CLAMP, 2001). Every story I have read or viewed has executed this idea differently and portrayed a unique perspective on the matter. Girl Parts could be compared to Chobits, as both stories have similar beginnings. A guy receives a companion doll, both are sexually attracted to the female form despite her being a machine, both learn more about being human from said machine (both stories even have the same mechanical plot twist). However, that is where the similarities end. With that said, I have generally found most sci fi stories dealing with robots to be unsatisfying, this one was no exception.

The story primarily deals with three characters, David (hormonal, coming of age *boy*), Rose (machine with a heart of gold) and Charlie (average joe). The story is set in a world where technology is advanced in which scientists have created machines in our own image to become our companions. Exploring human relationship with machines, primal human desires that override logic, and how human creativity may spawn a new life in artificial intelligence. The explorations are intricate, however never seem to go into depth leaving the reader grasping at partially formed concepts. The book is ambiguously concluded, leaving only hints to the fate of some key characters. Overall, I felt the book was well written but could have gone into better detail on themes and character development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Parts.