Miranda Davis's Reviews > Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

I happened on this book while waiting in Heathrow airport for a flight back to NYC. (So I got the Picador edition) I nearly had to be restrained by the flight crew, I was laughing, snorting and cackling so hard and reading the funny parts to a curious passenger in the seat in front of me. (This was before full flights, air rage and strip searches for underpants explosives). Finally, a few attendants gathered and we all cried we laughed so hard.

I really regret that the publishing powers that be thought we Americans wouldn't appreciate her British terms. In fact, the Americanized version was flat in comparison. There was a sparkle missing. I don't think we would've been distracted. Anyway, I ordered copies from England to give friends. It is brilliant, fun and full of hilarious observations as all hell breaks loose for Ms. Jones.

Favorite concept articulated first time ever here: smothering oneself in a fat duvet.

Helen Fielding wrote a very popular column and I sooooo wish there were a compilation of those. While in London, I read them and enjoyed them even more. She is brilliant, funny and so right about so much.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridget Jones's Diary.