Christina's Reviews > Skybound

Skybound by Aleksandr Voinov

Jul 03, 2012

bookshelves: historical, m-m-romance, short-stories
Read from August 18 to 21, 2012

This was completely captivating. I'm not a fan of short stories but this was jam-packed with emotion. It left me speechless. The writing was simply beautiful, poetry on every page.

The story is set in Germany at the end of WW II. The Allies are bringing down what remains of the Third Reich. The story is told in the first person present from Felix's POV. Felix is a mechanic who works day and night to ensure the planes are ready for battle and to keep fighter pilot Baldur Vogt safe and secure in his fighter aircraft. The end is near and both of these men know it. Even though Felix feels helpless waiting for Baldur to return from his missions, all he can do is make sure his plane is strong and reliable.

They're surrounded by despair and hopelessness but intimacy and love is never that far away. You can feel their connection without them saying a word. You're drawn into the intensity of the situation. There's no time left and every moment they have is precious. All these emotions are swirling around and even through all this, Felix finds strength and the tiniest bit of hope. This is what I cling to.

The imagery came alive. The sky, whether it be filled with fear or hope, the planes, the fighting, it all and had me wondering will they be flying towards their deaths or will their love actually have a chance to leave the ground and soar.

There are so many lines that I loved, I don't know if I can pick. All I'm going to say is this is highly recommended so go read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skybound.

Quotes Christina Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“I sit, smoking, my head against the cool comfort of the fighter plane's wheel, its wing shielding but never embracing me. I'm a cold nestling tonight.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“I've only ever really been afraid of the fear, but right now, I fear nothing.”
tags: fears

Aleksandr Voinov
“A gentle, warm, sweet pain spreads through my chest at those words.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Unplayed sound is like unspoken words.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Skybound

08/18/2012 "Going away for a week and Skybound is loaded on my kindle. Now I've packed everything :)" 4 comments

Monique ~ Sinfully Sorry Christina...I have liked 'cause I am sure it is a fabulous review, but I need to read the book still and I refuse to read any reviews until I have!!

Will be back though When I have read the book..((hugs))

message 2: by Christina (last edited Aug 25, 2012 06:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina Hehe, no worries Monique. I try to stay away from reviews if I haven't read the book too. Sometimes I'll skim but even that's risky if you don't want to get spoilers.

Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog Christina said, "I'm not a fan of short stories but this was jam-packed with emotion."

Exactly. It didn't need to be longer, it was all in there. Completely complete.

Glad you liked it Christina.

message 4: by Christina (last edited Aug 25, 2012 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina Thanks Lisa! I was totally satisfied with this. For me there is always something lacking with shorts but like you said this was complete.

Christina Baba wrote: "Great review, Christina!"

Thanks Baba! I see you loved it too. It was beautifully written.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Christina wrote: "Baba wrote: "Great review, Christina!"

Thanks Baba! I see you loved it too. It was beautifully written."

Yeah, I did. Without a doubt it was exceptionally well written. :-)