Dreams's Reviews > 12 Rounds

12 Rounds by Lauren Hammond

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: 4-5-star-reads, books-i-own-read, favorite-books, kindle-books
Read from August 01 to 03, 2012

So I had huge expectations for this book...I'm a big fan of boxing and of Lauren Hammond's artistic writing ability, so when I saw that those two were going to be combined in "12 rounds", I was "excited" to put it lightly. :)

I thought this book did an amazing job depicting the ambiance Cleavland has.
If you've ever been there for any amount of time and you read this book you'll understand what I'm saying...parts of it are unsavory but, there's this other side to it that's very appealing. It's this crazy juxtaposition that somehow just works for that town and the people who live there.

Sean's character in this book was spot on in my opinion. In my head I had him pictured as "Sonny Bill Williams" doppelganger. Though, Sean probably has a better right hook than Sonny does...sorry Sonny, I still love you though. :)

description

Sean battles with himself a lot...the life he's living, crimes he's committed/committing, the affects his decisions have made on other people's lives, the residual guilt that lingers from those decisions...

One of my favorite passages in the entire book was from his perspective:

"That's the worst part of going through something traumatic. The not knowing and wishing.
Not knowing if there's any hope left in life. And when realization hits you and you face the fact that all hope is lost, that's where the wishing comes in.
Because you wish for hope like it's a shooting star burning across miles of darkened sky and when it sails away you feel like hope is just a dirty tainted word.
A word that breathes false prophecies.
A word that eventually tastes rotten or like moldy bread as it rests on your tongue.
I know how it feels to lose hope. And yourself. And everything you used to believe in."

I thought Hadlee's character was also portrayed beautifully in light of her circumstances. She's very emotionally exposed to herself while being completely cut off from the outside world at the same time. Her reactions and feelings are very honest in light of what she's been through.
If you've ever been to that point of disintegration...whether it's from something someone did or said to you, or something you did to yourself or someone else, the debris left from the aftereffect...what it's like to try to wade through that by yourself...that's "Hadlee".

This book has some playful parts in it but, it also deals with some difficult subject matters. It's hard to address those subjects in a book in a delicate way, that's also strong enough to get your point across and I think Lauren Hammond aced that.

Over all, I really enjoyed reading this book...though I will say for the life of me, I could NOT figure out why "Connie" was called "Connie" until I got to the end of the book...then I got it :)

I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series, "13 Rounds", so please, please, Lauren...hurry it up already, would you?? ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 12 Rounds.

08/01/2012 page 1
0.53% "I have been dying to read this book - finally, it's here! Yeah!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauren Hammond Hope you enjoy it! :)

Dreams I'm sure I will! I've been psyched to read it, if you haven't gotten that from me yet ;-)

Now, I just need to find someone else to take over my life for the next day or so, so I can do nothing but read! :)

Lauren Hammond LOL... :)

Angie's Dreamy Reads Wow....this looks hot. I love the cover!

Lauren Hammond I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Sean has a special place in my <3 lol.