Jessica (Books: A true story)'s Reviews > The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Before I start my review, I want to make it clear that I only read 25 pages of this book (and it took me 5 days to even get that far because it wasn’t keeping my interest). I also want to make it clear that in my life I have not finished about 6 books and this is one of them.

The book starts off with a death at the beginning. Then we get to see a lot of the characters reacting to this death in very different ways which could be interesting, I guess. It does take a long time for the news to even spread. Quite frankly the characters are boring, vanilla and not all that original. There is no plot to speak of. If there is no interesting plot or unique characters, what is supposed to keep me reading this book? I know – it says J.K. Rowling on the cover. I think that does this book a huge disservice. J.K. Rowling is not even her real name. Mrs. Rowling does not have a middle name in real life. I feel like the only reason the publisher put the same pen name that graces the Harry Potter books on this book is so people like me who LOVE Harry Potter will buy it. They are different genres – they NEED different pen names. But that’s just my small opinion. I’m having a hard time reconciling the person who wrote the fun, quirky, complex and immensely entertaining children’s book with the person who wrote this very adult book. They don’t even seem like the same person to me. I wrote as an update while reading this that this book is kind of ruining Harry Potter for me. If I finished this book, I might not look at Harry Potter the same again.

I tried to plow through the zero plot and boring characters, but I found myself not enjoying the writing, either. The writing wasn’t bad, but I didn’t find it immensely interesting either. I heard this was supposed to be funny. I guess I didn’t get far enough to see the funny parts. But there are characters who are married named Barry and Mary. Maybe that was supposed to be funny? Overall, this book was just not for me. J.K. Rowling rocks and I will love her forever. Whatever else she writes, I will read. Sadly, I just had to skip this one. The massive amounts of vulgarity and constant talk of sex was a huge turn-off for me.

This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true story
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Casual Vacancy.

09/27/2012 page 8
1.0% "Still love her writing. Am I supposed to think that Barry and Mary as a couple is funny? I'm not sure....."
09/29/2012 page 14
2.0% "Well I guess adult book means we get to use the f-bomb a lot now." 2 comments
10/01/2012 page 26
5.0% "I don't think I can take anymore of this book. And it's oddly ruining Harry Potter for me." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael Araujo =O one star?! do explain lol

message 2: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla Eklund I can't wait to read this review.

Jessica (Books: A true story) Review is up. Tell me what you think :)

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn  Cooper Oh no, so sad! I'm glad you reviewed it. I was only going to read it if others recommended it since I assumed it would have a TON of 'adult content.'

message 5: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla Eklund Thank you for the honest review. I'm a little nervous about picking this up and reading it because I love the Harry Potter series, and J.K. Rowling's writing, but to be honest, the synopsis of this sounds boring.

Aylee I took the opportunity to read through some 5 Star reviews on Goodreads for this yesterday because I wanted to see what people who agreed with me were saying. But I'm definitely curious now to read the less favourable reviews. I bet your views and opinion are pretty common!

Jessica (Books: A true story) From the reviews I've read it seems like people either love it or hate it - not a lot of middle ground. I wonder if there is more than average 1 or 2 star reviews because people who don't really like adult fiction are picking it up (like me). I'm still dying to know the ending after your awesome review! If you told me the end I really wouldn't mind.... :)

Aylee You can't mean that really?!

Jessica (Books: A true story) LOL I do! I went on Wiki to see how it ended. It made me feel less guilty about the DNF. :)

Aylee Because you didn't like the ending?

Jessica (Books: A true story) No because it was the next best thing to actually reading it. If I know the plot then it doesn't feel so much like I "quit" which is how I feel about not finishing a book.

Aylee Ah okay, I see. The ending was so tragic, yet really powerful, I thought.

Jessica (Books: A true story) I agree, it was very tragic.