Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > Skybound

Skybound by Aleksandr Voinov

Jul 03, 12

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: books-i-wrote

A 13k short story that is fairly "different" to what I've been doing recently, but leads right into my next novel (there's a hint of my next novel in there for people who'll read both. :) ). Huge amount of research, very nervous, because it was so difficult and so demanding.
28 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skybound.

Quotes Aleksandr Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“I sit, smoking, my head against the cool comfort of the fighter plane's wheel, its wing shielding but never embracing me. I'm a cold nestling tonight.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“I've only ever really been afraid of the fear, but right now, I fear nothing.”
tags: fears

Aleksandr Voinov
“A gentle, warm, sweet pain spreads through my chest at those words.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Unplayed sound is like unspoken words.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Lately, the thought of tomorrow is like the thought of a hundred years into the future. Who can imagine that Germany will still exist?”

Aleksandr Voinov
“For me, he can walk on water, dance in the clouds. I know he can’t, really, but what he can and can’t do pales into nothing when I look at him.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“I want to learn his body, find every pleasure it’s hiding. All this reverence and simple awe I feel when I touch him, feel his breath brush my skin.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“I’ve never woken to another’s body in the same bed, not since I was a child. There is something about it that makes waking up alone seem unnatural. Man is not meant to be alone, yet men like us (or maybe men like me) appear to be lonelier than others.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Nobody else exists to me when he lands. Everything stops existing when he takes off, as if he takes it all with him when he goes up there, to places I'll never see again. That vast open non-place of emptiness that only becomes significant when his comrades are there, too, and of course the enemy fighters guarding the bombers bound for Berlin.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“We race towards something so amazing and precious it strikes me dumb with its immenseness. I lose every sense of myself, every thought; there’s just emotion and utter fulfillment.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“He’s a legend. Every green boy desires to be him. I don’t. My desires are more complicated.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“If the world ends tomorrow, how will I go? Without ever having risked anything, or having done the one thing I can't stop thinking about?”

Aleksandr Voinov
“There was one entertainer—they called him the Nightingale of Paris—who had the most amazing voice.”

Ilhem YES!!!!

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ I'm going to be in Berlin on August 20th, great coincidence :D Is there a place I should visit while reading this book?

Laura Nice! It’s a Voinov summer! I’ve been counting days until Incursion. Now I have another one to mark on the calendar. I can’t wait! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Short story?

message 5: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Emanuela - check out Berlin Gatow - last surviving WWII airfield. Huge aircraft museum - I really wanted to go there for research for Skybound, but didn't have enough holidays. There is lots of interesting stuff in Berlin generally. And it's a fantastic city.

Laura - I'll aim for a third and fourth one before the year is up and a full novel early next year.

Kate - yes, it's 13k. Packs a punch though. You might like it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

'kay thanks. :)

Nile Princess Auto buy. Can't wait.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Aleksandr wrote: "Emanuela - check out Berlin Gatow - last surviving WWII airfield. Huge aircraft museum - I really wanted to go there for research for Skybound, but didn't have enough holidays. There is lots of int..."

Thanks! And it's free admission :D

message 9: by Sarasaya (new) - added it

Sarasaya Yayyyy! :D

message 10: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Nile Princess - Thanks! I'm super nervous about this one. It's, errr, different.

Emanuela - yep! I really really want to go there, so if you do, make photos? Bonus points if you can shoot a bf 109 messerschmitt.

Sara - not long now. :)

Laura Drooling now! Lots to mark on my calendar. Thank goodness for workaholics! ;)

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Aleksandr wrote: "Emanuela - yep! I really really want to go there, so if you do, make photos? Bonus points if you can shoot a bf 109 messerschmitt"

Jawohl, Herr Kommandant! ;)

message 13: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Laura - more coming, but nothing ready or contracted yet...

Emanuela - Sehr gut, sehr gut. Weitermachen!

message 14: by Sarasaya (new) - added it

Sarasaya And nice cover!!!!

message 15: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I love it. It's Jordan Taylor, of course.

Yoshi Yes, very nice cover! I am tired seeing two naked men on my book cover. Yours is definitely on another level!

message 17: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov At Riptide, we only put naked torsos on the cover if the authors REALLYREALLY want them. I don't want them, so I'm not getting them. :)

Yoshi Good taste!

message 19: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Having control over the covers is one of the perks of starting your own house. :)

message 20: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve "Super-nervous", Aleks? That's like waving a red flag. Can't wait for this - and the novel-to-be.

message 21: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov There are some stories that are just scary. This is one of them. Some are fun, others are easy, but this one's scary.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

As scary as DS #3 & 5? Can't wait. When you say it's scary is when I know it's going to be awesome. Yay!

message 23: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Yeah, I think it's in that general direction. (Also - you're a sadist, Kate.)

Yoshi Oh! I love Aleks's scary stuff.
Do I understanding correctly that this is book 1 in the series?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Now wait. I did NOT say I was relishing the moans of terror, only what they indicate about the book........but now that you mention it, they ARE kinda tasty. Yum.

:D

message 26: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov No, this stands on its own, but it's the first of a number of independent WWII stories.

message 27: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov LOL. I'm glad my suffering amuses. :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Aleksandr wrote: "LOL. I'm glad my suffering amuses. :)"

It's probably from reading that first scene between Frederik and Lucian in BRC. Which is pretty hot. Also your fault for pointing me to it this morning. :)

message 29: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov My powers of misdirection ("don't read that book! Read the news ones instead!") urgently need work. :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but I've read everything you have out except Incursion. I'm recycling. :D

message 31: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov And Incursion isn't out yet. :) But yeah. It's one of the unfairnesses that even a very productive author can never produce more than a few month's worth of reading material - in a whole life.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Authors can be too prolific and get stale. I can wait for one or two good stories a year where you can feel the author's excitement and joy in creating them. Those are the best reads.

message 33: by Christina (last edited Jul 03, 2012 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina Nice cover Aleks! Hmmm, scary and nervous. Well the intrigue is certainly building.

message 34: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Kate - I definitely agree. Distilling takes time. :)

Christina - Thank you. I'm loving it. :)

message 35: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander =( There are no nipples fucking. I was promised fucking nipples.

message 36: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Nipple fucking only happens in books with headless torsos.

message 37: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Aleksandr wrote: "Nipple fucking only happens in books with headless torsos."

I have the screenshot! And witnesses. There was an implied contractual obligation in you saying you were going to write nipple-fucking.

message 38: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov It referred clearly to headless-torso covers.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Dani wrote: "=( There are no nipples fucking. I was promised fucking nipples.

Now I'm wondering if you're another author breaking promises a la Kate Sherwood--head promisebreaker."

Aleksandr wrote: "Nipple fucking only happens in books with headless torsos."

I've been contemplating this for about ten minutes now...

message 40: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Emanuela - All Teh Crazyyy happens on Twitter. Dani-boy and I had a pretty weird conversation there yesterday, and he's clearly confused. :)

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ The rule is not clear. Is the headless torso on the cover a picture of the chest or does the rule still stands if it's a pic of the back?

message 42: by Dani (last edited Jul 04, 2012 04:10AM) (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Aleksandr wrote: "It referred clearly to headless-torso covers."

Clearly, I need to quote here:

AHEM, EXHIBIT ONE:

"NOW I WANT TO WRITE A NIPPLE FUCK."-Alekandr Voinov

Exhibit two, which is fanfiction already written by Laddie due to the implied contract of Exhibit one:

"Nipple fuck, nipple fuck We got no dicks And no nuts We don't need no heads We've got abs and nips instead." -Ladddie

(although technically it is more poetry than fanfiction, it counts!)

(PS: I think my commas are getting more involved in my discussions--not necessarily for the better)

message 43: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Emanuela ~plastic duck~ wrote: "I like Kate Sherwood but I'm a bit behind with her books. Don't tell me it's the third Dark Horse, because I was looking forward to it."

No, this was a promise directly to me for which I created covers and everything--it involved monkeys and horses...

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

*buries head under the covers and tries to un-see this whole nipple fuck thing*

WHY Dani, why??!!!

message 45: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Kate wrote: "*buries head under the covers and tries to un-see this whole nipple fuck thing*

WHY Dani, why??!!!"

@@ I didn't--
That's not--
It wasn't--

NOW WAIT A MINUTE. How'd I get blamed for it? It was HIM! *points at Aleks* and HER *points at Laddie*. I was an innocent bystander on Twitter.

message 46: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov What happens on Twitter, stays on Twitter.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Dani wrote: " NOW WAIT A MINUTE. How'd I get blamed for it? It was HIM! *points at Aleks* and HER *points at Laddie*. I was an innocent bystander on Twitter"

message 48: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Kate wrote: "Uh huh. Innocent. That's why horse/monkey sex got dragged into this (and wasn't there a seal in that one somewhere?). "

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. XD

message 50: by Elin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elin Absolutely super cover. Can't wait to read what's inside.

« previous 1