Nicholas Karpuk's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain

The Walking Dead, Vol. 09 by Robert Kirkman

Jul 03, 12

Read in July, 2012

I stopped reading The Walking Dead for a while after Volume 8. It's not that it became a bad read, Kirkman has an oddly consistent track record, it's just that the level of misery became so great that I felt I needed to take a break from the series.

This collection was the wind down and reset that the series needed. There's no major revelation, just characters coping with the most tremendous loss they've suffered. It's far more compelling than it would seem as a summary.

There's a bit involving Rick's conversations on a home phone that border on heartbreaking.

Part of what's got me back into comics is the purchase of a tablet with access to the Comics app by Comixpedia.

Comics take up a stupid amount of space and weigh a ridiculous amount, which I've dealt with as a renter who moves every couple of years. Combine that with the irritation of finding the graphic novel you want with the anemic selection both at comic shops and book stores, and it gets tiring just trying unless you're only into manga (in which case you seem to be reading entire books while sitting in the aisle at a Barnes and Noble).

So I picked up on a couple series where I'd left off about a year ago with digital issues, and Walking Dead seemed like the perfect place to start. Should be a lot easier to deal with the misery when I don't have to struggle to purchase it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 09.