Mehmet's Reviews > Man Plus

Man Plus by Frederik Pohl

Aug 08, 14

bookshelves: universe
Read from July 03 to 09, 2012

It is exactly this type of science fiction novel that makes this genre my favourite, Sci-fi is stories allows the author to deal with issues that makes and breaks society and deal with it from birds eye view. Books such as these are my favourite, Man Plus is a outstanding and thoughtful novel that is a tragic story involving the transformation of a male into a cyborg or half robot. The reason for this experiment is to do with the direction of humanity and the mess it has got itself into.
Written in 1977 some of the authors prediction are spot on, some are almost laughable, also its very Eurocentric and as most authors from the West seem to pose all countries from the East as warlike and aggressive.
Yet this is the only criticism I have of the book. The strength of Man Plus is the way it deals with the effect the experiment has on a human being and has a little view, at our psychological make up. The American government is creating the perfect being to live and colonise the planet Mars. Roger is our hero of the novel and we witness his suffering from not only the scientist meddling (Genetic engineering), political meddling, but also the effects of adultery and selfishness. Frederik Pohl in my opinion has perfectly written a description of the suffering that couples can have in marriages, it might not be the most important part of the story but it is a portion of the narrative that will stay long in my memory.

I whole heartily recommend this novel to sci-fi fans, people that like Frank Herbert, Robert A Heinlein or people that have same taste as me in books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man Plus.