Melissa's Reviews > The Stolen Child

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Oct 22, 14

bookshelves: supernatural
Read in July, 2012

An interesting story - two stories, really - of a child stolen by hobgoblin, or faeries, or what-have-you, and the changeling who is sent back to the civilized world to replace him. The author follows both boys through the years and as the lives of the two boys continue to overlap. Each boy has his own story, and each wrestles a little predictably with their past and their identities. There are a few spots, maybe, with a little too much hand-wringing angst, but for the most part this is a well-written book that examining two lives and two different societies at a time of great change for both. There is plenty of food for thought, here, to decide who has the "better" life and who has the "happier" ending, if you like to think about this kind of thing, and though there are many loose ends on the last page, I have to say I still found it a satisfying ending.

My biggest complaint is that both protagonists seem to have the same voice - there is no distinction of vocabulary or dialect to distinguish their first-person narratives. The two boys' circumstances are different enough that one doesn't get confused, but I think that it might have been more enjoyable to have their characters differentiated a little more in this respect. (Though it occurs to me toward the end of the book that perhaps this is done on purpose.) The only other thing I wish is that a little more attention had been given to the changeling Henry's discovery about himself as a child. It was an interesting twist but I felt like it was brushed past and I would have liked to spend a little more time exploring that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stolen Child.