Sharon Bressen's Reviews > Mission to Paris

Mission to Paris by Alan Furst

Jul 09, 12

Read from July 03 to 08, 2012

A copy of this book was received from the Amazon Vine Program.

This is the second book I have read by Alan Furst and look forward to my next. His writing of historical fiction and especially spy narratives of World War II brings the time, people and place alive.

In the fall of 1938, an Austrian-born actor, Fredric Stahl who has lived in the United States for eight years finds himself in pre-war Paris coming to make a movie about World War I.

In the meantime, the Ribbentropburo follows the newspapers and learns that Stahl has come to Paris. Using whatever methods they can, they exert pressure on Stahl to assist The Ribbentropburo in promoting Germany and their policies.

He agrees to an interview with a journalist and it leads to trouble when they twist his words. As more pressure is applied, he consents to travel to Berlin and judge a German mountain film festival…but now he is working with the American Embassy in Paris. While traveling to the film festival he acts as a money courier and brings in a hefty quantity of Swiss Francs to pay a Russian spy in Berlin.

Along the way, Stahl finds a love in the most unusual setting. Between spying and avoiding the Germans, he finds himself and his love in a very dangerous situation in Hungary and looks for a way to escape and return to the United States.

I recommend Mission To Paris to fellow readers who enjoy spy thrillers and are looking for an easy read with great character development. Alan Furst is a writer who delivers a believable and exciting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mission to Paris.

07/03/2012 page 31