Adam Collings's Reviews > Vigilante

Vigilante by Robin Parrish

Aug 10, 2012

bookshelves: mythic-fiction, thriller, christian, superhero
Read from July 03 to 17, 2012

Robin Parrish does it again. This story follows the journey of a war hero who sacrifices his identity, his whole life, to become a shadowy vigilante crime fighter. Nolan Gray exists in a world that really needs a hero - somebody to take a stand. To me, the feeling of this book was similar to that of the Christopher Nolan Batman films - especially Batman Begins.

I absolutely loved the character dynamics between Nolan and the other three characters that made up his team. Something made me just want to go and live with them all in their abandoned subway station under the city.

This was an intelligent deep story filled with suspense, heart-ache, and excitement that never rarely lets up. The book asks some very difficult questions, and doesn't provide any pat answers. There is still some doubt left in the protagonists mind at the end regarding the things he has done - but this just leads more powerfully to the thematic climax which points directly to the Bible as the best place to go for our answers.

Vigilante does not have any sci-fi or fantasy elements, but it is set in an 'alternate timeline' - although I'm not sure this was entirely necessary for the story to work.

I take my hat off to the author. This is everything that Christian fiction should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vigilante.