Gules's Reviews > Chill Factor

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary, library
Read from July 02 to 03, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Likes:

I love the interaction/relationship that Joanne has with David; how they can bicker and argue, but you always see the care the characters have for each other. There's a nice balance of good and bad (a little more good in our heroes/heroines to be likeable) in each character that makes each of them more believable. It makes it a little harder to know who are the "good and bad guys" versus who is generally good but misled, misinformed, or weak.
The way people/djinn find ways around direct orders is clever, and is fun to see in what way decisions are made, and how people choose to live.

It always seems like everybody else knows the 411 about what's going on except Joanne. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but with it constantly happening around her, Joanne comes off as someone who is just a pawn on the board, and someone who always needs rescuing. She's a tough cookie though, which makes her breaking to Orry's torture a little surprising. The fact that she did try to trick him at first does seem more consistent, but I suppose Orry/Quinn had to have gotten the information somehow.
Lack of communication was a little frustrating, but understandable both as part of the plot and quirks of character. I felt like an audience member yelling at some of the characters to just explain themselves, then maybe everybody wouldn't be in such deep doodoo all the time.

My rating: 3 1/2 stars. It definitely kept me reading, and I enjoyed finding out more info on the characters, but feeling so out of the loop and not knowing what crazy way the plot would change kept me from really getting into the story. Am definitely reading on to see what craziness Joanne will be involved in as well as what happens with David and their little "bun in the oven."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chill Factor.