Gabriel McCann's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

8201838
Dec 20, 14

Read from July 03, 2012 to December 20, 2014

Nathan Sentance kindly lent me all 10volumes of this. A good story but the artwork is a bit ordinary for my tastes. Still all in all quite good take on gender politics. If you were the last man left alive in a world full of only women how would you react. Lots of running away from gangs of people trying to kill you. Guilt over not staying faithful to your girlfriend who is on the other side of the world when the plague hits.
For me it all happened a bit too quickly and the final explanation of what caused it all seemed a bit vague for my taste.
Instantaneously killing of every male of every species on earth all at the same second seems very unlikely but really it's more of a morality tale or thought experiment of how to cope in this sort of situation.
Reminded me of Stephen King's The Stand and Earth Abides by George R Stewart although neither of those killed off all the male population just about 90% of the whole human race.

Redeemed by an incrediably sad ending. Wonder what Hollywood will make of it if they manage to make the film version.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

12/20/2014 marked as: read