Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Leif

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance, reapers-necromancers-death-agents
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Joanna
Read in July, 2012

It's ON. Let the games begin!

Me after finishing :

Yawn. It was just another additional PoV of the same story that I already read not once, but twice? Lame.

Okay, so the read wasn't itself wasn't actually lame but if I hadn't decided to view this as a setup for some future story with Leif, it might have looked horrifically repetitive. I was entertained and pissed off at the same time. The entertaining part was getting to watch Leif develop as a character, which made me continue to fall for him as a person (this seed was planted in book 2). Being inside of his head made me feel every thought, every moment of pain. The annoying part was finding out that Leif had more of a heart in there than I wanted to see. So now I love Leif even more, yet hate where the story is going.

Don't ever take me to the horse races. I will make you lose all of your money. Earlier this year, I was tentatively predicting that 2012 could be The Year of the Villain. Boo. Where have all of the TRUE baddies gone? I can't keep falling in love with every single bad guy who secretly has a heart inside. SOMEONE needs to be bad. We need to protect the balance of the universe!

Although I can't help admitting that Leif did make me do a bit of an aww...sadface. He was sort of sweetly pitiful : I'd wanted her to choose me. To want me...and she had. But only for a moment. Something about his pining near the end reminded me of Adrian from VA though.

All in all, I still enjoyed Leif's take on the situation. This series is slowly improving with every new installment. After an extremely weak and shaky book 1, I read Dank's PoV (1.5), then book 2, then Leif's PoV (2.5 - which I'm currently reviewing), each one getting a little bit better in progression. By now, I'm actually looking forward to book 3. I have a fondness for characters taking on the role of death or the reaper. The voodoo underworld twist was a surprisingly fun addition, even if the dad does remind me of Sebastian from The Little Mermaid singing Kiss the Girl.

Tell me you wouldn't think it too :
"Jes cause he won de gurl don mean he can ave her. Dat ain't whut de rules say. De gurl's soul is yers. Now take it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leif.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Noémy (new) - added it

Noémy I really want to read this one. I liked Leif in Existence and I got Predestined on my kindle because of him even though I didn’t really like book 1. His character intrigued me and I loved him more than Dank. I totally get what you mean about falling for the bad guys in YA ;D the latest one was Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo: totally fell for the wrong guy o_o

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla Wow...great review!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. :)

Noemy, I'm with you. Book 1 wasn't good for me either. I've been meaning to read Shadow and Bone. It looks great.

message 4: by Noémy (new) - added it

Noémy It's good i'm sure you'd like it :D

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm pretty sure I will, just going off friends who have recced for me in the past. I'm excited to get to it!

April I agree: book one not the best. Loved book two and I grew very fond of Leif. Which leads me to 2.5 book and now Leif is my favorite. Why can't the girl just end up with the "bad" guy...the bad guy whom has a hear, the bad guy who is not like his dad. Why can't the bad guy win?!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha, yeah. As long as there is a heart in there somewhere.