Melissa Wehunt's Reviews > Graveminder

Graveminder by Melissa Marr

My first thought when I saw this book was, "Holy Crap! I didn't know that Melissa Marr wrote an adult book?? How did this happen without me knowing??" And when I found out that it was sort of a zombie love story, I was even more psyched. Just up my alley!

So, what did I think? I liked it. I gave it 5 stars didn't I? Although, I have to say that I didn't give it my most enthusiastic, "holy crap I'm in love with this book" 5 stars...but more of my "this was technically a good book and I had no real problems with it and I want to know what happens next" kind of 5 stars. But how would you know that? I guess by reading my this fascinating prose of mine... ;) lol.

In all seriousness though, I did like the book. It just didn't feel like it had Marr's usually passion in it though. I whole heartedly endorse the Wicked Lovely series on practically a weekly basis to both teens and adults...and after feeling that passionately about a series for so long, it was kind of a let down to read the beginning of this series. Rebeckkah and Byron just don't feel like Aislinn and Seth...they didn't feel as real or as as much charisma or...something. I don't know. I'm not dumb, I realize that they aren't supposed to be the same characters so therefore why would they feel the same...and I know that the point of the story was the taming of Rebekkah and her need to be "free" and deny her love for Byron. But even when they do end up together, and belive me, normally I'm a fan of HEA's no matter how they come, it just sort of fell flat for me. More like a slow resignation then a declaration of love. I don't know...maybe it's more realistic...or maybe there is more fire to come in the following books.

My other complaint that kind of goes along with the first one is how easily Rebekkah falls for the dead. Again, we go from wanting to pack up and run, to being willing to die for the dead! Not for Byron, but for some dead people she cares nothing about...the story even seems to have Becky considering a relationship with Charles. Honestly, I thought she'd practically dumped Byron for the dead world and then all of the sudden after a long night of bringing the dead over, she sleeps with him and is declaring her love to him the next morning. Did I miss something? I don't know...maybe I'm needy with my demands for relationship talk in books...or maybe I'm just used to more 'romantic' reading materials. Maybe this brushover is normal for regular adult fiction, but I thought it was kind of lame.

So, I realize this looks like I have a ton of issues with the book, so why 5 stars? Well, I kind of feel like they are more like nit-picks rather than complaints...and it was an intriguing story...just maybe lacking a little bit of pazzazz that I am used to getting from Marr. I will withhold further judgement until I get my hands on book #2. If things don't step up from there, I may be changing star judgements. ;)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graveminder.

07/05/2012 page 193