Brian's Reviews > The Clone Wars

The Clone Wars by Karen Traviss

Oct 29, 08

Recommended to Brian by: theforce.net
Recommended for: Star Wars fans, especially those who may have lost faith in the series.
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

This is the first Star Wars book that I've read in a decade! I used to read Star Wars books all the time. I stopped reading them because I realized that they were all the same. It was also around the time that the prequels were killing my enthusiasm for Star Wars. Each new prequel eroded my devotion a little more, with Episode III threatening to kill it outright. Recently, my love for the series has re-blossomed. This is largely thanks to the video game The Force Unleashed. The game got me so excited about Star Wars again that I wanted to read a Star Wars book. After careful consideration, I chose this title (as a side note--I've decided to stay away from the post-Episode VI Extended Universe, because, from what I can tell, it has become an ungodly mess). I'd heard good things about Karen Traviss and, I'm happy to say, this book verifies everything. The characterization is spot on, and it gives a much needed look into the mind of Anakin Skywalker. She does such a good job portraying him that I'm beginning to think about the prequel trilogy differently. Traviss shows us how tortured Anakin is, in a way that was sorely lacking in the feature films (another aside--there are many reasons behind this: Hayden Christensen's horrific acting and George Lucas's terrible writing are the main culprits, though). Overall, this was an excellent book, and I'm glad that it's the beginning of a new series. I'm looking forward to the next book.

One last note--I realize that this is an adaptation of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated film. I haven't seen the film, but I've heard that it's terrible. I may edit the review after I eventually see the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clone Wars.

10/23/2008 page 30