Lisa Kim's Reviews > Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History

Breasts by Florence   Williams

Jul 08, 12

Read from July 02 to 08, 2012

Offers too few answers and didn't quite delve into some of the factors that women (& men) actually do have some amount of control over (diet, exercise, alcohol intake). Maybe that was beside the point for Williams--she spends many very very scary pages on chemicals in the environment that might be harmful. Sadly, it is unlikely that the average person can realisitcally avoid these ubiquitous compounds. Unless, the public and their elected politicians garner enough outrage to insist on a ban of these potential toxins. Which I suppose is the point of her treatise on this singular organ. But where to begin? She narrows her research to a handful of compounds but because there is still so little known about the direct cause and effect. To insist on a guilty until proven innocent (as opposed to the converse of big Pharma and big Industry's innocent until guilty stance) would disrupt and paralyze modern life as we know it. I finished the book feeling more fearful and defeated rather than informed/empowered or even angry-enough-to-be-stirred-into-activism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breasts.