Cheyenne Teska's Reviews > Over You

Over You by Emma McLaughlin

Aug 17, 2012

bookshelves: arcs, own, won-gifted, reviewed
Read from August 13 to 14, 2012

Breaking up is hard to do, especially when you're put in a situation where you're forced to see your former beau every day. Max has devised a foolproof method for broken-hearted teenage girls on how to get over their exes. I honestly wish that I had someone like Max to scrape me off of the floor and put me back together again when I had my first break up. She's right where she belongs, doing something she loves and living happily ever after...until she unexpectedly runs into the boy that broke her own heart. Now she'll have to trust that her advice will not only help her move on, but make her realize that she's much better without him.

While this story wasn't filled with much substance, it was surely entertaining. The dialogue was witty and although Max was a difficult character for me to relate to, I still admired her. She had a likable personality and intuition, which made her perfect for the role of heroine-in-disguise. No one but she, her clients and her assistants knew anything about the business she was running, cleverly named Ex, Inc.

When Max is dealing with her clients, the reader will see how much she truly cares. She spends so much time being the friend that they need, but when she begins to relapse and fall head-over-heels for her less-than-deserving ex, she fails to take the advice she had no problem dishing out to others. Along the way she meets another completely sweet guy named Ben and her vision becomes a little less blurred. She realizes her worth and that she's important; much more important than that jerk, Hugo, ever acknowledged.

Overall, I found Over You to be unique and heart-warming. The fact that a teenage girl could come up with such a successful business dedicated to helping other girls her age is what made it such an entertaining story. Everyone should be able to relate to something in this book, and because of that, I think it's worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over You.

08/13/2012 page 142