Chrystal's Reviews > Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse

4193095
Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge
Read from July 02 to 05, 2012

Okay first off I loved how quickly this story moved. Solstice was a mixture of chaos, high running emotions and terror for the characters. I can only imagine the emotions that people would be experiencing at a time where the world is in complete darkness and people have gone stark raving mad. Also, the fact that this takes place in post-apocalptic Europe was an added bonus (London and Sweden). It was nice to see a change from the usual American locations, though there are some American characters in this story, so great mix.

The story itself flips back and forth between the two countries and has a multiple point of view narration. Between the two main POVs, I really enjoyed Melanie and Thomas' story more than Tana and Stu, though each had some really great moments. The dynamics of the groups they are in are completely different from each other and perhaps I was able to identify with Melanie more because her character calls to me. It's almost like Thomas and Melanie believed in their efforts to find a way through all of this a little more than the other group. Though I think Tana had the most heartbreaking moment of the entire story - I still want to cry a little for her each time I think about her introduction to the reader.

The zombies (or Ragers) are quite interesting as well. They are not your traditional mindless and soulless beings. I think they are much creepier this way - they cause so much carnage and instill a fear like no other zombie could. But you will have to read the story to see what I am talking about... it's kind of a teaser if I tell you more about their differences.

Honestly, the entire story is just well written. It will keep you turning pages because of the drama and it's ability to draw you in. Hoping that this is just the beginning, because I would really love to read a sequel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solstice.

07/04/2012 page 30