Katie Stout's Reviews > Destroy Me

Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi

Jan 21, 15

bookshelves: dystopian, harper-collins, favorites, best-villains, novellas-shorts, sobfest, best-titles, i-ship-it, gorgeous-writing
Read from October 01 to 02, 2012

HOLY. CRAP.

Some of you may remember that I was just sort of iffy about Shatter Me. The writing was a little too much, and I didn't connect much with Juliet or Adam. But I loved Warner - he was my favorite character - so I was hoping that this novella would be interesting.

Little did I know that it would totally blow my mind.

My brain. It can't....I just...OMG.

I'm reading along, semi-interested at the beginning, thinking how awesome it is to be reading a Tahereh Mafi book with no slashes through words, and then BAM!

I'm hit by the awesomeness that is Warner's POV. The writing in this novella is strong and emotional and powerful. It felt charged somehow, like every word was important. And there's just this tension in the plot and the writing itself that really impressed me, like whoa.

I basically have no words for how awesome this book is. Words fail me.

Just know that this novella is a MUST READ for anyone who read Shatter Me. I don't even care if you liked the first book. This one is so much better written and more interesting! I want Warner to narrate the entire series. Who cares about Juliet and Adam?! I've never loved a villain so much in my life.

He just...OMG THE FEELS!

I'm pretty sure Warner is going to die before this series is over, and a part of me thinks that's terrible. But you know, a part of me almost thinks that's good. It's what he wants, anyway. Poor guy is so miserable and pathetic and SAD! He needs a hug. Let's all just hug, shall we?

I'm now basically counting down the days until I get an ARC of Unravel Me, not really because I want to be inside Juliet's head anymore, but I MUST know what happens to Warner!

*Also, (view spoiler) That would be awesome. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destroy Me.

10/01/2012
22.0% "Squeeeeeee!!!! Every series should have a novella for the villain!" 2 comments

Brooke YES!!!!!! I am loving this!

Katie Stout Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "YES!!!!!! I am loving this!"

Yeah I wish he could narrate the entire series!

Rebecca Me, too. <3

Brooke KM wrote: "Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "YES!!!!!! I am loving this!"

Yeah I wish he could narrate the entire series!"

That would be an interesting perspective!

message 5: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia where do you find this book? i tried the url they have listed here, but it doesn't seem to work...

Brooke Patricia wrote: "where do you find this book? i tried the url they have listed here, but it doesn't seem to work..."

It's an ebook only. I got mine on Amazon.

Katie Stout Patricia wrote: "where do you find this book? i tried the url they have listed here, but it doesn't seem to work..."

I bought mine on amazon too!

Katie Stout Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "KM wrote: "Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "YES!!!!!! I am loving this!"

Yeah I wish he could narrate the entire series!"

That would be an interesting perspective!"

I found him a lot more interesting and conflicted than the MCs. Not that they were bad - I think Juliet is a great character! But Warner was so awesome!!

message 9: by Amalia (new) - added it

Amalia Dillin But -- didn't it seem kind of like it just... ended?

Katie Stout Amalia wrote: "But -- didn't it seem kind of like it just... ended?"

YES! I'm assuming because she had to stop before the second book in the series picked up? I don't know. But I didn't want it to end!!! I was like, "No! Who cares about Juliet?! KEEP GOING!" lol

Rebecca Lol, I was kind of sad when it when back to Juliette's POV. I wanted to continue on with Warner.

message 12: by Amalia (new) - added it

Amalia Dillin KM wrote: "Amalia wrote: "But -- didn't it seem kind of like it just... ended?"

But I mean -- there was no conclusion to anything. Like it wasn't it's own story at all just... a kind of side ramble? I don't know. Do you know what I'm saying?

Rebecca I wished it had a more definite ending, too, Amalia! It seemed kind of random to end it that way. I mean, was she real or was it a hallucination?

Katie Stout Rebecca wrote: "I wished it had a more definite ending, too, Amalia! It seemed kind of random to end it that way. I mean, was she real or was it a hallucination?"

I think that's just the nature of mid-series novellas. I've read a few others, and they just sort of...end. They can't really stand alone and they don't have complete arcs - it's just more like a series of "deleted scenes." That's what they feel like to me, anyway. And I guess I was expecting this, so I wasn't surprised? I don't know.

message 15: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 09, 2012 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Yeah, not really surprising, I guess. But still frustrating. I'm not usually a fan of novellas, not really. But I read them because I have no willpower lol.

Katie Stout Rebecca wrote: "Yeah, not really surprising, I guess. But still frustrating. I'm not usually a fan of novellas, not really. But I read them because I have no willpower lol."

Oh, me too! I'm addicted to Brigid Kemmerer's Elemental series, and I've read both novellas, even though neither was all that great. I just needed more Merrick brothers. lol I think "Destroy Me" is the only novella I've read that I actually really liked (even with its less-than-satisfactory ending).

message 17: by Amalia (new) - added it

Amalia Dillin KM wrote: I think that's just the nature of mid-series novellas. I've read a few others, and they just sort of...end. They can't really stand alone and they don't have complete arcs - it's just more like a series of "deleted scenes."..."

But see -- I don't understand WHY that has to be the nature of one? There's no reason why it couldn't be a contained adventure/story in its own right, with a conflict and a resolution, which sets us up for the next book.

Rebecca Amalia wrote: "KM wrote: I think that's just the nature of mid-series novellas. I've read a few others, and they just sort of...end. They can't really stand alone and they don't have complete arcs - it's just mor..."

I think some of them do. If you've ever read the Iron Fey books by Julie Kagawa, her novellas always seem to have a problem and a solution by the end of the short story. But I think this novella was just meant to help us understand how Warner thinks, and maybe show us that he's not the monster he was made out to be. Maybe because of him being portrayed as a serious love interest in the future?

KM wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Yeah, not really surprising, I guess. But still frustrating. I'm not usually a fan of novellas, not really. But I read them because I have no willpower lol."

Oh, me too! I'm addict..."

Never heard of that series, I'll have to check it out. :)

Katie Stout Rebecca wrote: "Amalia wrote: "KM wrote: I think that's just the nature of mid-series novellas. I've read a few others, and they just sort of...end. They can't really stand alone and they don't have complete arcs ..."

I think you're right about the purpose of this novella - it was much more about us understanding Warner than any actual plot threads. You're right about Julie Kagawa, though - hers do have complete arcs. Maybe Mafi should take a few notes. ;)

message 20: by Amalia (new) - added it

Amalia Dillin But why can't we understand and get to know Warner through a completed story? I guess that's all I'm saying. I hear you both, I just kind of expected... a story of its own?

Rebecca Well, yeah, probably. But it seems he is easily misunderstood. Shatter Me made him seem like a monster. Now, I still think he's a little crazy, but I was surprised by his reasoning for a few things. Maybe now that we've been in his head we'll be able to understand him better later. If nothing else, we now know that he isn't a completely emotionless, evil, scheming fiend, lol.

@KM: Why, yes, maybe she should ;).

Katie Stout Amalia wrote: "But why can't we understand and get to know Warner through a completed story? I guess that's all I'm saying. I hear you both, I just kind of expected... a story of its own?"

You're right! It SHOULD have had a complete arc. But I guess I just overlooked that bit because I enjoyed the story so much. And if the purpose was to show that Warner isn't a "completely emotionless, evil, scheming fiend" (as Rebecca so appropriate put it lol), then I'd say Mafi succeeded. But definitely the novella could have been plotted better!

Rebecca I agree. My friend thought it was kind of boring, but I guess I was so wrapped up in the story I didn't even notice. But yeah, there really wasn't a plot. Oh well. Unravel Me will have one for sure. ;)

Danielle (is trying to escape reality) I am so totally with you here. Didn't miss the crossed through words and ADORED this POV. I did not love Shatter Me. Adam and Juliette were just not my favorite cup of tea.. just yeah I basically am in total agreeance with you on all of this.

Hector I have been think about this and i wanted to ask if i needed to read destroy me before unravel me or could i read it afterwords

Katie Stout Hector wrote: "I have been think about this and i wanted to ask if i needed to read destroy me before unravel me or could i read it afterwords"

It's not necessary to read it, I don't think, but it's really good, so I would definitely suggest reading it before UNRAVEL ME.