Paradoxical's Reviews > City of Pearl

Jul 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in July, 2012

I both enjoyed and didn't enjoy this at the same time. For one, it's very extreme in its views. There are little or no greys in the picture, it's basically black and white, this is good and this is terrible. So yes, very preachy. On the other hand, the story was somewhat compelling, and I did enjoy the book as I read more of it. It brings up several interesting points of discussion (even if Shan is very firm on her opinions of said points of discussion).

That said, I disliked the fact that all of the scientists were terrible people who were either obnoxious or completely morally defunct (or both at once). They were all portrayed as money hungry people who were, quite frankly, rather stupid as well as narrow minded and shallow. It bugged me.

As for Shan herself--it was a mixed bag of feelings. I liked her, but her views were a bit too extremist for me (her hate for the human race just sort of made me shrug). Her personality however? That I liked. The directness, the stubbornness, the way she did what she thought was best every time with no compromise was refreshing to see. Those traits made me like her. I just disliked some of her thoughts, ha. Aras, too, was fun to read. Lonely and detached, he made an interesting read by way how differently he thought.

So both good and bad. I liked reading it and I disliked it as well. Solid 3 stars from me.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Pearl.

Kathleen Molyneaux Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the book. Nice review. Thanks.