Destini Rivers's Reviews > The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1)

The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1) by Grace Burrowes

Jul 02, 12

Read from June 30 to July 01, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Reading the books in a series usually gets me excited, I am a big fan or recurring characters. I like to know what happens after the "happily ever after" But all I had to do in this series was read the first book. the whole series is the same. Broody guy going through some kind of problem, not saying anything because he doesn't;t want to put too much pressure on his family.
Enter love interest who has a secret. Every book in the series I've read so far, all the women have secrets, they won't tell anyone. Heavy hints are dropped that something is going on. The men ask what the problem is trying to help, but of course the women don't want help.
The men are highly placed in society and none of them want to own up to it. Once the women find out the man has a title they start feeling even more inadequate. The men propose the women refuse- repeatedly. The men try to take precautions going on about not wanting to have a bastard child, (including a lot of hand jobs and dry humping and masturbating.) But somehow all of these women end up pregnant before the wedding.
And there is an awful lot of talk about menses. IS a woman having them, when are they over, why are you so cranky are your menses approaching? Even if you have 5 sisters men don't talk about menses this much. Especially in Victorian times.

Granted this is a big family but calling ones parents His and Her Grace instead of Mother & Father is a bit off. THe Father is an overblown childish ridiculous excuse of a man. He yells he blusters he makes scenes and has tantrums like a child. The man wants grandchildren, he wants a legacy. Even going so far as to suggest to his son's mistress that since she's pregnant by someone with similar features as his son, she can just make the son think it's his baby.

The son finds out the plan and buys the woman a house, gives her a bunch of money and makes they guy that got her pregnant marry her.

I honestly don't think the books are all bad. They would be a lot better if the characters weren't all repeats of each other with slight differences. The women should have a bit more confidence in themselves, and when the man they love proposes to them they should say yes instead of making him ask 6 or 7 times.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1).