Caitlin Audet's Reviews > A Midsummer's Nightmare

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

Jul 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books, contemporary, books-i-won-arcs-or-finished-copies, physical-book, just-had-to-reread
Read from July 02 to 03, 2012

Literally been reading this since I got this from my mailbox yesterday afternoon. First I just have to say that this has totally cemented my love for Kody Keplinger's writing. The Duff is one of my absolute favorite books and A Midsummer's Nightmare goes one step further. Ok this title couldn't be more perfect for describing this story. Everything is going wrong for the MC, Whitley. We meet her when she wakes up with a stranger who she slept with the night before. Yes Whitley is a huge party girl who has been drinking and going to parties since she got to high school. Her summer starts off with a one night stand, which is something she doesn't do, and only gets worse when her dad picks her up the next day. Whitley lives full time with her mom in a whole other state. Her mom hates her dad with a passion even after 6 years being divorced. All that time has pretty much made her a zombie who pays no attention to Whitley unless she needs to vent her anger about her dad. So every summer for 6 years is the only time Whitley can spend time with her dad. They stay at his condo on Lake Michigan and just chill the whole time. This summer not only did he move into a house in the suburbs but he is also engaged. Not only that, her future stepbrother is the guy she slept with at the graduation party . One huge nightmare after the other for Whitley so i don't blame her one bit for acting out. I loved all the references to The Duff. No you don't have to read it to read A Midsummer's Nightmare but it was exciting to see connections with these two books. We finally and officially meet Harrison who quickly turns into Whitley's best friend. We only knew his name from The Duff so it was great to get to know him. Even Wes and Bianca are in a scene which was pretty funny. What I loved most is nothing overshadowed the issues that Whitley was dealing with. She lives with her psycho mom, her dad is paying more attention to his new family, and her brother lives across the country and has a family of his own. Whitley goes through a lot of changes in one summer and I was very proud of her. This was a very emotional read and I literally felt everything she did. Overall A Midsummer's Nightmare completely blew me away and I highly recommend reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer's Nightmare.

07/02/2012 page 70
23.0% "Love it!!!"
02/28/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/01/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Yay!!

Caitlin Audet Lol I plan to write more of a review. This is just something I did early this morning when I finished the book.

Caitlin Audet Couldn't help reading this again. Absolutely love this book.

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen My favorite is still the DUFF. Did you read her book of two novellas that feature characters from DUFF and this book?

Caitlin Audet Omg I love The Duff but I really want to get that in physical copy. No I didn't even know there was another book with the characters. What's it called?