Claudia's Reviews > Treasure Island

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Jul 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge-160-books, classics-i-should-have-read-years-b, lad-lit
Read in July, 2012

Yes, I know! Should have read this a looong time ago! I wasn't into adventure books when I was young...I've often suggested this book, or other Stevenson novels, as senior paper books, especially for guys who haven't done much reading. It was a great ride, and worthy of my attention.

Jim Hawkins is thrust into a world of treasure, pirates, mutinies, desert islands, by an old sailor who shows up on the doorstep of his parents' inn...the sailor is NOT good for business, with his mutterings, drunken songs, and his paranoia about a one-legged man.

When the man attracts some of the worst vermin known to mankind, and Jim finds a treasure map, he and the doctor and the squire of the area do what every group of provincials would do: They hire a boat and go treasure hunting.

The reader can see the squire, while full of funds to outfit the trip, is very naive about people, and by the time Jim and the doctor get to the boat, it's apparent there are some suspicious men already hired by the squire for the trip...including...duh duh duh! A man with one leg! Long John Silver is even more fun on the page than in any film I've seen. Charming, knowledgeable, evil and conniving, manipulative to the core.

Jim's too good to be true...he's too brave, too smart, too lucky. But we love him, because we hope that would be the way we'd act.

Fun to read -- exciting fight scenes, careful characterization. Every pirate could easily have become a caricature, but we get to see them as different people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure Island.

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I read this one and the David Balfour series once upon a time. As I read I thought with a brogue! Wonderful reads!