Jake's Reviews > The Night Angel Trilogy

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Jul 02, 12

Read in July, 2012

Overall this is a pretty good trilogy but what kept it from being 5 stars for me was a lack of cohesiveness. The first half of the first book is so dramatically different from the rest of the series it almost feels like a different series altogether. Initially the young protagonist is learning all about martial arts, how to fight, etc. and the story really revolves around the art of assassination. This is what pulled me into the series to begin with. Along the way it evolves into something completely different with all kinds of magic, magical weapons, etc. and alot of it seems to be fairly arbitrary, at least until you get to the ending.

The author does a great job of making interesting characters and painting a vivid portrait, and the plot wraps up in an emotional and bitter sweet way that ultimately saved the series for me. I can overlook unexplained magic and lore if the characters and their relationships are interesting and that's what this series did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Angel Trilogy.