Jan's Reviews > UnEnchanted

2073876
Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy-sci-fi, young-adult
Read in June, 2012

In June, I was forced rather abruptly to move from Austin to Dallas, a situation that left me without easy access to books for a while (I have to wait to get an updated driver's license to get a new library card & I can't afford to buy books right now). In light of this, I downloaded a handful of free books from iBooks, something I had never done before.

I found that most of the books in the "free" section of iBooks are either classics, YA fiction, or romances. Not that there's anything wrong with that. So I grabbed some classics and a few YA novels. This was the first of the YA novels that I read. It is about a young woman who discovers not only that she is a descendant of the Brothers Grimm, but that she carries the "Grimm curse," a legacy that hinges her survival upon defeating all of the fairy tales her ancestors wrote down in.

Because these books were free, I'm going to try to not be too hard on them. In this case, a 2-star review doesn't mean that I didn't like it, but that it was okay. It was obviously in need of an editor - there were a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes. I thought the writing was a bit amateurish. Overall, however, I thought that the author had a lot of very clever ideas. The book kept me guessing which, frankly, can be hard to do. In many ways, I found it charming.

On the other hand, I don't think it captured my imagination enough to continue with the series. In a month's time, I will probably have forgotten about this book. And that is why I'm giving it only two stars. It was good, but not quite good enough.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read UnEnchanted.