Kami's Reviews > Dreamland

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Jul 02, 12

I wanted to love this book. I really did. I mean Sarah Dessen is pretty much my all time favorite author since I first read The Truth About Forever and I enjoy almost every book that she writes but if I'm being totally honest this book just did not sit well with me.

I'm not going to say that it is a bad book, because it's not. I mean it was well written and thought out just as all of Dessen's books are. In fact at the beginning I loved the book and thought it was amazing. My problem is more with the story line.

At first I though that Rogerson was was this mysterious attractive stranger that was total boyfriend material until he starts abusing Caitlin. Now personally I can't understand this. I would NEVER in a million years EVER put up with that crap. That guy would be out the door before he even knew what happened if that was me. I also can't understand why anyone would abuse someone. I get it, he was abused by his dad. Yeah that sucks, but that doesn't mean that you abuse anyone else, especially your girlfriend. So I suppose you could say that after I realized that was the direction in which the story was heading, I was seriously disappointed.

Now I can't handle stories that deal with abuse because I don't understand it and I don't like it so this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I realize this happens in real life and that is extremely heartbreaking in my opinion. I hope that maybe this book helped those who have had to deal with abuse or even opened some people eyes, and made them realize that this really does happen.

xo Kami

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland.