Michele's Reviews > Miss Me When I'm Gone

Miss Me When I'm Gone by Emily Arsenault

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: mystery, contemporary-fiction
Read in July, 2012

I enjoyed this light mystery. When Jamie's best friend from college, Gretchen, now a best-selling author, dies under mysterious circumstances following a book signing in her hometown, she inherits Gretchen's notes and rough drafts for her next book. It doesn't take long for a pregnant and distracted Jamie to realize that Gretchen's death may not have been accidental, prompting Jamie to start her own investigation.

The novel vacillates between Jamie in present day, chapters from Gretchen's first best-selling book about legendary female country singers, and Gretchen's notes on the book she was working on when she died. It sounds more convoluted than it is, lol. It's actually quite easy to follow and while I wouldn't quite call it a thriller (is there such a thing as a 'cozy thriller'?), it certainly builds towards a "find the killer" finish.

The parts of the novel I most enjoyed were the "chapters" from Gretchen's first book about female country singers. Gretchen's observations about the personal and public lives of such legedary figures as Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, and Dolly Parton are absolutely wonderful and make you wish that Gretchen's fictional book had really been written (I would buy it!). It was enough to make me run out and buy old copies of these extraordinary women's autobiographies....and I don't even care for country music. So I would recommend the novel for that alone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Me When I'm Gone.