Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs

Jul 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, picturebook
Read in June, 2012

I really liked the idea of this book but it came together in a way that just felt a bit "off" for some reason. The pictures seem okay, with an odd sense of plasticity to them for a book about a fantastical garden. The execution of the style seems fine and the organic edges of the pictures are likely meant to be soft and dreamlike. However, the often dark colors seem to be jarring against the mostly white pages, creating an awfully bright book for a night-time story. The story itself is a little odd- I had difficulty figuring that one of the bugs was a bad guy and the others were good guys until about halfway through the book. I didn't quite understand the necessity of the alien-lookng leaf men either and I thought that having the missing key as a little metal man was a bit patriarchal. It also seemed strange to have such an old lady actually recover and all of a sudden be fine but maybe I'm just a disillusioned grownup and who can't let herself have fun with a fantasy story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs.