M A's Reviews > The King's Pleasure

The King's Pleasure by Kitty Thomas

Jul 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: erotica

Edited 06/02/2012: This novella is now available in an anthology titled "Submissive Fairy Tales." The anthology includes "The Auction," "The King's Pleasure," and "Awakening." If you are interested in at least two of these stories, it's a better deal to purchase "Submissive Fairy Tales."

Rating: 2.0 stars / Grade: C-minus

Disclaimer: I am not a professional reviewer, nor was I solicited for this review. My ebook was purchased at bn.com. I read and comprehended the entire text of this book at least 1 time prior to reviewing.

Spoiler Warning: My reviews generally contain spoilers. I do my best to label them. Please read at your own risk.

SUMMARY REVIEW: This is a very short dark erotic fairy tale that weaves in plot elements of Esther (biblical tale,) and “Arabian Nights” sprinkled with a little “Hunchback of Notre Dame.” The writing is pretty shabby IMHO, kind of rambling and irrelevant in places. When a story is this short, every word and plot point counts. The first 30 pages or so are almost exclusively unrelenting exposition told in walls-of-text backstory. Little of it led to significant character development or moved the story forward. The erotic scenes are very fantastical and decadent, featuring BDSM elements and very brief mention of bestiality. I found the writing stilted and ill-timed, definitely not at the same standard as “The Auction.”

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Pleasure.

Future Slayer Girl Thank you for giving a heads up about Submissive Fairy Tales being an anthology. I own all her books but that one, and thought I was missing one. I was going to buy it last night too ;-P